Lahaina Injection Wells
The West Maui Preservation Association has been studying water quality problems associated with the Lahaina Wastewater Treatment Facility since its incorporation. WMPA focused on water quality issues around the nearshore waters of Hāʻenanui, Honokōwai. It supported community actions regarding EPA review of Safe Drinking Water Act regulations and eventually suing the County of Maui under the Clean Water Act regarding the illegal use of injection wells to discharge millions of gallons of effluent into the nearshore waters. The matter went up to the U.S. Supreme Court which agreed with WMPA’s main contention that the Clean Water Act applied to the County’s injection wells. It has conducted water quality sampling including pathogen sampling. It has sought remediation at the federal, state and county levels. Below are informational links related to the issue of West Maui’s injection wells.
WMPA in Action
WMPA in the News
The Maui News | November 20, 2021 By COLLEEN UECHI, Managing Editor Maui County will not appeal a U.S. District Court’s ruling in favor of...
The Maui News | October 22, 2021 Ruling requires county to seek a Clean Water Act permit for wells By MELISSA TANJI, Staff Writer A...
Lahaina News | Jul 30, 2021 By Staff It’s long past time for the County of Maui and Maalaea condominiums to end stone age wastewater...
The Maui News | July 16, 2021 By MELISSA TANJI, Staff Writer Decision may bring drawn-out case to a close if county does not appeal A...
- NRDC: Testing the Waters 2011
- Coral Reef Ecosystem Data from the 2010-2011 Kahekili Herbivore Fisheries Management Area, West Maui, Herbivore Enhancement as a Tool for Reef Restoration Project (NODC Accession 0082869) ( Dr. Jennifer Smith and Ms. Emily Kelly)
- Status of Maui’s Coral Reefs (Celia Smith and Ivor Williams)
- USGS Pacific Coral Reefs Studies (Maui)
Other Scholarly Papers Available Online
- Using d15N values in algal tissue to map locations and potential sources of anthropogenic nutrient inputs on the island of Maui, Hawai’i, USA. (Dailer M.L. et al)
- A multitracer approach to detecting wastewater plumes from municipal injection wells in nearshore marine waters at Kihei and Lahaina, Maui, Hawai’i (Hunt, C. et al, USGS)