West Maui Preservation Association is organized for the purposes of preserving, protecting and restoring the natural and cultural environment of West Maui, including land conservation and educational activities related thereto.
More specific purposes are: Improvement projects, including land acquisition, for betterment, preservation, maintenance, and protection of ocean, reef, marine life, shoreline, dunes, parks, open spaces, roadways, parking facilities, and other areas of Ka’anapali North Beach and West Maui, thereby enhancing the natural beauty and public enjoyment of the West Maui region.
Methods of implementing such preservation, protection, and betterment are by:
1. increased public awareness by study and public education;
2. acquiring land, easements, or other rights to preserve open space in its natural condition or placing capital improvements thereon to prevent destruction of the natural condition;
3. add amenities promoting public use and enjoyment of existing or acquired open spaces and private or public facilities in West Maui, including recognition of the history or cultural heritage of Hawai’i, in existing or acquired open spaces in West Maui;
4. fund raising and grant solicitation to implement preservation and betterment projects;
5. studying and presenting formal opposition to those aspects of proposed private or public development projects which derogate existing open spaces, views and view corridors, shoreline conditions, dunes, natural or native landscape, ocean quality, beaches, reefs, marine life, public access trails, roadways and parking, private or public parks Hawaiian history and culture, or infrastructure including traffic, air, waste control, drainage, water, electricity, transportation, or health, fire, and safety public services; and
6. negotiating and mediating, by mutual consent or through litigation, with developers, land owners, and governmental agencies to effect improvement to or prevent destruction of the natural conditions, environment, cultural heritage, beauty and resources of West Maui.